Graduation Traffic Seasonrsevers
The month of May is memorable for Mother’s Day and graduation ceremonies. If you graduated from an Austin area high school or college, chances are you walked across the stage at the Frank Erwin Center. Located just a few blocks from the Capitol Complex, the Frank Erwin Center has also served as a live entertainment venue since it opened in 1977. Many popular headliners such as John Denver, Prince, Pink Floyd, and Sir Paul McCartney have played the Erwin Center over the years. But from May 1st to June 1st, the Erwin Center is booked with graduation ceremonies.
This means hundreds of happy graduates, along with family, friends and many distracted drivers will flock to the corner of MLK and Red River. Traffic, including pedestrians, rideshare cars, and of course, scooters will all converge at this intersection for the next month.
Commuters and Capitol Complex visitors should expect congestion and delays near the entrances of the UT public parking garages and parking lots this month. State parking garages are reserved for State workers from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. but will be available as paid public parking after hours.
Safety is our #1 priority. Please be patient, slow down, watch out for pedestrians and heed all construction signs. Please view our safe crosswalks and sidewalk routes map to help plan your travel within the Capitol Complex.
Congratulations to the Class of 2019
Celebrating commencement ceremonies at the Frank Erwin Center
University of Texas, St. Edwards University, Austin Community College
High Schools: Anderson, Ann Richards, Atkins, Austin, Bowie, Crockett, Eastside, Garza, Lanier, LBJ/LASA, McCallum, Reagan, Travis, and West Lake
Important Safety Reminders
- DO NOT ENTER THE CONSTRUCTION ZONE. Please respect the flagmen as they direct construction traffic in and out of the work area.
- Please DO NOT move or remove construction or detour signs. The law requires signage in key areas to ensure public safety. (Moving mandated markers can result in a fine.)
- Crosswalks Safety: Please stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. See the Safe Sidewalk Routes Map. (NOTE: Not all crosswalks have signal lights.)
- Bike Lane: DO NOT walk in the bike lane on MLK between Brazos and Congress. Bike lanes are reserved for bikes. Please watch out for cyclists in the bike lanes and around the Complex. Speed: Please use slower speeds around the Capitol Complex and especially near construction entrances and exits.
- Follow the “yellow brick road” sidewalk routes: Look for updated wayfinding signs throughout the Capitol Complex. The signs include the Safe Sidewalk Routes Map and directions for travel around the Complex. (Download a map here.)