The two new office buildings at 1801 and 1601 Congress Avenue, will be built on existing Parking Lots 7 and 2, thereby displacing that parking supply.
However, the Phase One project includes the addition of 5 levels of underground parking underneath the two new office buildings on Congress Avenue from 16th Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, and 8 levels of above ground parking integrated in the new 1801 Congress Avenue office building. At the conclusion of the project the parking supply at the Capitol Complex will be greatly expanded.
During construction, parking will be relocated to existing parking garages along San Jacinto Boulevard that are presently underutilized. Parking lot closures are estimated to occur in the following order and all dates are subject to change:
- Parking Lot 7, at the southeast corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Congress Avenue, is expected to close in early summer 2017.
- The south west half of Parking Lot 12, at the southeast corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and San Jacinto Boulevard, will become contractor staging in fall 2017.
- The northeast half of Parking Lot 12 will close in early 2018.
- Parking Lot 2, at the northeast corner of 16th Street and Congress Avenue, will close in fall 2017.
- The east half of Parking Lot 3, at the southeast corner of 17th Street and Congress Avenue, will close in spring 2018.
- Parking Lot 19, at the southeast corner of Colorado Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, will close in summer 2018 for use as a
bus stop and staging area for the Texas State History Museum.